PROFILE OF MORTALITY BY CHOKING IN THE LEGAL MEDICAL INSTITUTE OF LIMA IN MACEIÓ – ALAGOAS
Mariana Barros Silva
Marcus Vinícius de Acevedo Garcia Gomes
Maria Luisa Duarte
Universidade Estadual de Ciências da Saúde de Alagoas, Maceió-AL, Brasil.
Asphyxiation has been increasing as an important modality of violent death worldwide, being locally subject to modifications of its profile according to sociocultural and geographical aspects. This study presents a transverse, observational, predominantly descriptive analysis. It was performed at the Estácio de Lima Medical Institute – Maceió / AL, using cadaveric records from January 2011 to December 2015 in order to trace the epidemiological profile of deaths by asphyxia, with the following variables being observed: gender, age, color / race, historical information, cause of death, cadaveric transformation status, and use of primary or secondary identification method. During the study, a prevalence of 80.5% of male deaths was observed, with the majority of victims being young or adult, accounting for 28.5% and 42.1% of the cases, respectively. As for the type of asphyxia, the most frequent were drowning (48%), hanging (29%) and suffocation (14%) among all ages; For the month, January was considered the one with the highest number of deaths; And, according to the occupation, a total of 41.2% of employed individuals were followed, followed by 26% of uninformed and 13.9% of students. From this study useful data may be obtained for the elaboration of public policies more appropriate to the situation lived by the local population and tourists.
Keywords: Hypoxia, asphyxia, physical-chemical energy, cause of death.
Please click here for the full article in portuguese.
- França GV. Medicina legal. ed. Rio de Janeiro: Guanabara Koogan, 2011.
- Delmonte C, Capelozzi VL. Morphologic determinants of asphyxia in lungs: a semiquantitative study in forensic autopsies. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2001; 22(2): 139-49.
- Decreto-Lei 2848, de 7 de dezembro de 1940. Código de Processo Penal. Disponível em: <www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/decreto-lei/Del2848compilado.htm>. (Acesso em: 02 de outubro de 2015).
- Azmak D. Asphyxial deaths: A retrospective study and review of the literature. American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology. 2006; 27(2): 134- 44.
- Singh A, Gorea RK, Dalal JS, Thind AS, Walia D. A study of demographic variables of violent asphyxial death. Journal of Punjab Academy of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology. 2003; 3(1): 32-34.
- Patel-Ankur P, Bhoot-Rajesh R; Patel-Dhaval J; Patel-Khushbu A. Study of violent asphyxia death. International Journal of Medical Toxicology and Forensic Medicine. 2013; 3(2): 48-57.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Multiple Cause of Death 1999-2004. Atualizado em: 03/04/2017. Citado em: 24/07/2017. Disponível em: https://wonder.cdc.gov/mcd-v2004.html.
- Machado DB, Santos DN. Suicídio no Brasil de 2000 a 2012. Jornal Brasileiro de Psiquiatria, Rio de Janeiro. 2015; 64(1): 45-54.
- Martins CBG, Mello-Jorge MHP. Circunstâncias e fatores associados às mortes por causas acidentais entre crianças, adolescentes e jovens em Cuiabá, Brasil. Revista Paulista de Medicina, São Paulo. 2013; 131(4): 228-37.
- Segundo ASS, Sampaio MC. Perfil epidemiológico dos afogamentos em praias de Salvador, Bahia, 2012. Revista Epidemiologia e Serviços de Saúde, Brasília. 2015; 24(1): 31-8.
- Guptill KS, Hargarten SW, Baker TD. American travels deaths in Mexico. Causes and prevention strategies. West J Med. 1991; 154(2): 169–71.
- Shankar MB, Pradeep KG, Vinod CN, Rajendiran G, Chhikara S, Sharma S. Victimo-epidemiological profile of violent asphyxial deaths in Manipal, Karnataka. Indian Journal of Forensic and Community Medicine. 2015; 2(1): 29-34.
- Tirmizi SZA, Mirza FH, Paryar HA. Medicolegal Investigation of Violent Anphyxial Deaths – Na Autopsy Based Study. Journal of the Dow University of Health Sciences Karachi. 2012; 6(3):86-90.
- Ghadge MR, Samel DR, Kulkarni DV, Pate R. Socio-demographic factors in mechanical asphyxia deaths in Thane region, Maharasha, India. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2016; 4(9):4078-83.
- Singh B, Ghosh M, Sangal A, Srivastava AK. A Post-Mortem Medicolegal Study of Violent Asphyxial Deaths - An Autopsy Based Study. International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research. 2017; 3(2): 104-7.
- Sales RCC, Lima AB. Aspectos epidemiológicos dos afogamentos no município de Fortaleza. Revista de Salvamento Acuático y Primeros Auxilios. 2013; 4(38): 107-13.